I wish I was a morning person, but I’m not. I wake up around 10am on the weekends, sometimes even later. The weekend mornings are my favorite though because Zack and I get to make coffee, make breakfast, and read what new disastrous things are in the news (’cause it’s important to stay informed even if the newest headlines make you doubt the human race)… We get to spend the morning doing whatever we want instead of rushing out of the door to school.
This is one of my favorite things to make on weekend mornings because 1. it’s SO EASY, 2. it’s SO GOOD, and 3. if something is about to go bad in the fridge, it can go in the scramble ’cause basically anything can go in a scramble…
I guess that’s why they call it a scramble, amiright? Maybe not.
Once you try these protein packed, cholesterol free, filling, and gosh damn delicious breakfast tacos, you may not want to go back to the old egg scramble…
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- 1 8-oz pack of extra-firm tofu
- 4-6 tortillas
- A splash of vegan unsweetened milk (I used flax)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 5-6 portobello mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach or any greens
- 1 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 avocado (for garnish)
- 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Hot sauce of your choice (I used Valentina)
- Add tofu to a pan on medium heat and mush it into pieces. (The tofu doesn’t need to be chopped into cubes before you add it to the pan, I was just using leftover tofu).
- Prepare the veggies by chopping the bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions.
- Add the turmeric, garlic powder, pepper, smoked paprika, and salt to the tofu. Add more paprika and garlic to taste.
- Add the veggies in the same pan with the vegan milk, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft.
- Add the spinach towards the end, cooking for about 5 minutes or until bright green. Once done, add tofu scramble to corn tortillas and top with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and any hot sauce of your choice.
If you enjoyed this recipe or completely hated it, let me know by commenting down below. Cheers.